September 23, 2017
Folly Beach County Park
1100 W Ashley Ave.
Folly Beach, SC 29439
To provide a safe and fun experience for all, participants must meet specific adaptive surfing prerequisites prior to registration. These guidelines have been adapted from the American Canoe Association.
POSTPONED - Wheel to Surf Adaptive Surfing
Saturday, September 23, 2017
Due to safety concerns regarding Folly Beach surf conditions, the September 23 Wheel to Surf event has been cancelled and we are working to find a reschedule date. We will provide updates as they are available.
This unique event provides individuals with physical disabilities an opportunity to experience surfing! Adaptive surfing staff from partner organizations Ocean Cure, Adaptive Surf Project, Adaptive Expeditions, and Coastal Adaptive Sports will provide instruction and assistance in a controlled environment.
Participants must be able to:
- Breathe independently (i.e., not require medical devices to sustain breathing).
- Independently maintain sealed airway passages while under water.
- Independently hold head upright without neck / head support.
- Manage personal care independently or with assistance of a companion.
- Manage personal mobility independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance.
- Follow instructions and effectively communicate independently or with assistance of a companion.
- Independently turn from face-down to face-up and remain floating face up while wearing a properly fitted life jacket.*
- Maintain a safe body position while attempting skills, and have the ability to recognize and identify to others when such efforts would be unsafe given your personal situation.
*Water Safety Workshops will be provided by Adaptive Expeditions for those who wish to acquire these skills prior to the event. Register for those classes here.
Please note: Participants must not have any unprotected wounds. Open wounds must be appropriately covered and protected. We reserve the right to deny participation to anyone that does not meet these requirements on the day of the event, due to safety concerns.
If you have questions or concerns about meeting these guidelines, please call or email CCPRC’s Accessibility Aide, Stephanie Shaw, at 843-300-8534 or by email.
Ages 4 and up. A chaperone is required for ages 15 and under. A signed waiver will be required for all participants.